NBDC 2021 Scholarship Program
December 4, 2020 - The National Black Disability Coalition (NBDC) Scholarship Program is accepting applications from Black disabled high school students who will be graduating this spring.
The NBDC Scholarship Program is funded by donations from its members, supporters and other fundraising events. The number of scholarships awarded is limited by the monies generated from these endeavors.
The 2021 award is $10,000 to be distributed half in the first semester and additional half in the second semester contingent upon a first semester minimum GPA of 2.0.
A complete application package MUST be submitted to the Scholarship Program committee no later than March 15, 2021. The package consists of a completed Scholarship Program Application form, a typewritten essay, a completed certification of academic standing form, and at least one personal recommendation.
APPLICATIONS HAND DELIVERED OR POSTMARKED AFTER MARCH 15, 2021 ARE INELIGIBLE.
- Applicant must have a disability and from a Black race group.
- Applicant must be graduating from an accredited secondary educational institution.
- Applicant must have applied for admission into at least one accredited institution of higher learning for the Fall 2021 school term and must provide institution’s information on application.
- Applicant must provide at least one recommendation from an official of current school, community organization, or church; or an employer.
- Applicant and parent/guardian signatures required.
QUALIFYING COMPETITIVE FACTORS
- An essay written on one of the following topics:
- It is important for me to attend college because….
- My chosen field of study is_______ because________
Failure to address one of the specified topics disqualifies essay. The essay should be from 350 to 500 words, typed and double spaced. At the end of the essay, record “Word Count” and the number of words generated by PC Tools/Word Count. Points will be deducted for an essay less than 350 or more than 500 words or not double-spaced. Essay will be rated on content, depth, grammar, organization and originality.
- Describe need for disability related expenses.
- Official cumulative GPA on the Certification of Academic Standing Form, including grades for ninth grade through semester ending in January 2021.
- A mandatory Zoom interview consisting of presentation of the applicant’s essay and a question/response period. Only finalists determined by review board will have interviews.
To receive written notification of the status of your application, enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
For additional information contact: Jane Dunhamn, Director at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tips for Applications & Other Documents
The Scholarship Program Committee hopes you will find these tips useful in completing your NBDC Scholarship Program application and other documents.
- Read all instructions and related information thoroughly.
- If you have any questions, request clarification from the contact person.
- Follow All instructions to the letter. Complete all fields on the application form.
- Do not wait until the “last minute” before the deadline to prepare your application and/or to request documents needed from others (e.g. certifications, recommendations). Some unexpected event may occur at the “last minute” which will prevent you from completing and/or mailing your application on time. Prior to the deadline, follow-up with persons providing certifications, recommendations, etc.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that the application package is complete and on time. This includes certifications and recommendations sent directly by a school or others. NBDC will not notify applicants when items are missing. Applications with items missing after the deadline has passed are considered incomplete. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered or acknowledged.
- Your essay should include the title on the typed paper. The title need not be the same as the topic. Use spelling and grammar check and word count tools on the computer and/or have someone proofread your essay.
- Be sure your name or specified means of identification is on each page submitted.
- Make a copy of each page. Submit the original and keep the copy for your records.
- Again, make sure your application is complete.
- Put enough postage on packages you are mailing. When you pay for postage, get a receipt and retain it as proof that you met the mailing deadline.